What Is Kombucha Tea & How Is It Made?
What is kombucha? How do I make my own kombucha tea? What are the benefits? What’s a scoby? Have you been wondering about this topic? Read on for the answers to your kombucha tea questions!
This post contains affiliate links. I recommend products which I personally use. I can receive compensation for sharing my recommendation of the best products with you!
What Is Kombucha?
This beverage is made from black tea, organic sugar, water, and a scoby. The scoby is a culture. It is the real star in making kombucha healthy for you. Even better, you can make kombucha tea yourself. This will let you know the exact ingredients in it! Kombucha is a fizzy, slightly tangy, and delicious. And it’s amazingly good for you.
What Do I Need To Make Kombucha?
To make kombucha you need a large saucepan, water, large glass jar, organic sugar, black tea, a paper towel or breathable cloth, and a healthy scoby!
Recipe For Making Kombucha Tea
The recipe for making kombucha tea is super easy!
Ingredients For Kombucha
The ingredients you will need to make your own kombucha at home are:
- Water (1 gallon)
- 6-8 tea bags
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 2 cups of kombucha tea
Directions For Kombucha
- Once you have gathered all of your supplies together, begin heating your water in a large saucepan.
- Heat until boiling.
- Once your water boils, carefully dump into your large glass jar.
- Put your tea bags in and let steep 15-20 minutes.
- After that, remove the tea bags and discard.
- Next, you will add the organic sugar.
- Stir well until sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool completely. You do not want to put your scoby in until the water is completely cooled to room temperature or you may damage it. (Poor scoby!).
- Once your tea has cooled to room temperature, gently add your kombucha tea and scoby.
- Cover with a paper towel or other breathable cloth and let sit away from heat or light for 2 weeks.
Where Do I Get A Kombucha Scoby?
I got my kombucha scoby from my good friend Christin. If you don’t have a local friend who is making kombucha, don’t despair! You can get your very own kombucha scoby online at a variety of online health stores.
How Do I Know When My Kombucha Tea Is Ready?
Your kombucha is ready when at least 2 weeks has passed. It should taste slightly fizzy. The scoby will have settled on the top and created a thick layer. When the tea is ready, gently remove your scoby. Go ahead and bottle your wonderful probiotic tea. Remember to store the scoby in 2 cups of the fresh kombucha tea until you are ready to make your next batch!
How Does Kombucha Benefit Me?
Kombucha is an extremely healthy probiotic beverage. Probiotics are beneficial to maintaining healthy gut flora. Healthy gut flora encourages a chain effect of healthy benefits throughout your whole body. I find that drinking a few glasses of kombucha tea every day is a great benefit in balancing my own health. I drink it often.
How Often Should I Drink Kombucha?
You should drink kombucha tea as often as possible! I feel at my best health when I am drinking it daily.
Join My Health Minded Community!
Since you are reading a blog post about kombucha, I can tell you we are probably meant to be friends! Come join us over in my Facebook community, Exploring Essential Oils. I can’t wait to share kombucha stories, swap healthy recipes and essential oil tips with you!